Podcast listeners that consume at least five hours of audio content per week are known as “Podcast Super Listeners.” Their listening habits provide rich information, as their engagement behaviors inform how consumers will react to advertisements. They’ve become valuable targets for advertisers and podcast sponsors because Super Listeners are more than just fans of the medium. They experience more messages and ads than the average listener.
PodcastOne and Edison Research released results from their Super Listeners study conducted from February-March 2019. The study was the first of its kind – surveying Super Listeners that are most likely to hear podcasting ads and who have a valid opinion about them. Their study looked at how podcast consumers are reacting to advertising, how they feel about the role of ads found within the content they love, and how the ads affect their listening experience. They discovered that Super Listeners are highly receptive to advertisements, that those messages work, and they change purchase behavior and brand perception.
Here are some highlights from the Podcast Super Listeners report:
- 70% have considered a new product or service after hearing about it on a podcast.
- 60% appreciate podcast advertisers for supporting their favorite podcasts
- 44% have a favorable opinion of a company when they hear it mentioned on a podcast they regularly listen to.
- 44% pay more attention to advertising on podcasts than on other forms of media.
- 43% prefer to buy products from companies that advertise on podcasts they regularly listen to when price/quality is equal.
- 37% agree that advertising on a podcast is the best way for a brand to reach them.
- 25% agree the products and services they learn about on podcasts are relevant to their interests.
- 25% agree they are willing to consider products they learn about on podcasts.
Interestingly, even though Super Listeners typically avoid listening to ads, they agree that podcast advertising is the best way to reach them. However, the data does show that advertisers should be cautious about maximizing advertising impact. 50% of Super Listeners say it’s important to limit their exposure to ads, and 49% say there are more ads now than there were a year ago. Advertisers should be aware that in order to maintain the premium impact of podcast ads, they will need to avoid over-saturating spotloads to keep podcasting’s most loyal consumers happy.